the Nordic Ice Skating Thread

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
telerat
Ski style: Telemark, backcountry nordic and cross country skiing.
Favorite Skis: Any ski suitable for telemark or backcountry skiing, with some side-cut for turning.
Favorite boots: Scarpa plastic telemark. Asolo and Alfa leather boots.

Re: the Nordic Ice Skating Thread

Post by telerat » Mon Jan 08, 2024 5:56 am

Nice. Nordic/touring skating is awesome, and the last autumns I have wanted the snow to delay falling so we can enjoy skating first.

I have a pair of Fischer RC5 Combi that works fine for both classic xc skiing and ice skating, but prefer Xplore and rubber sole for hiking to, from and between lakes. I am thinking on buying a pair of skates skis for exercise and going further on prepared tracks, and think those boots are sturdy enough and could work fine for that too. My bother in law uses a pair skate boots on Asnes Mountain Race 48.

tkarhu
Ski style: XCD | Nordic ice skating | XC | BC-XC
Favorite Skis: Gamme | Falketind Xplore | Atomic RC-10
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard | boots that fit

Post by tkarhu » Mon Jan 08, 2024 11:45 am

mca80 wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 1:28 pm
Second day on nordic skates, did 20km in just under an hour. By the end my binding on one skate had slipped forward, else I would have kept going. Has anyone used titeloc or anything on these? I suppose I just need to crank them down better. Some fine citizens plowed the snow yesterday morning for a 10k path on this lake as part of a fundraiser. I only found out about too late, but managed to swing down and skate it today. Will have to donate eventually when I get over to the organization later this winter. Longer skates good for stability and smoothing out rough areas. Need to be very focused in crossovers, it isn't like the muscle memory on hockey skates.
Wow, that is fast! On club tours, nobody usually has faster than that average speeds. Tours take place on ungroomed ice, though, and last several hours.

I would use blue loctite for such metal screws. Or nyloc screws or bolts. Looks like the Zandstra screw set does not have nylocs, so I guess I have the blue loctite on the screws of my skates.

mca80
Ski style: Over the river and through the woods
Favorite Skis: Nansen, Finnmark, Kongsvold, Combat NATO, Fischer Superlite, RCS
Favorite boots: Crispi Bre, Hook, Alpina 1600, Alico Ski March, Crispi Mountain

Post by mca80 » Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:37 pm

@tkarhu, if you want to remove the bindings at some point is the blue loctite an issue?

I am contemplating getting a shorter turnier skate to complement this one at some point. Am thinking Skyllermarks red, or orange if I want to bite the bullet and spend $$$ for a carbon skate boot, or an Ermine 40cm. Anyone have any knowledge of the Ermine skates in 40?

tkarhu

Post by tkarhu » Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:46 pm

Blue loctite is the version you use, when you want to dismount screws later. I bought it for bicycle screws initially.

Blade length does not correlate 100 % with agility. Agility may be more about the arc to which a blade has been sharpened. Zandstra NIS blades have been sharpened to 35 m arcs in all lengths, and for example MenM Zwart 30 m. 40 m is also common. I heard hockey skates have like 10 m arc blades. But different lengths of a certain blade seem to have same arc, so finding most appropriate model may give even better what you want.
Last edited by tkarhu on Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.

mca80

Post by mca80 » Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:49 pm

Skyllermarks say 25m on theirs. Understood that length isn't the defining factor but curve of the blade. But a shorter length also allows for easier crossovers etc. With the Ermine skates, they say their 40cm blade has a shortened nose and different angle, so that the contact area is still close to that of their 45cm blades. The shorter nose and quicker rise--I imagine that wouldn't be good for rough ice, but okay for smooth.

tkarhu

Post by tkarhu » Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:53 pm

mca80 wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:49 pm
Skyllermarks say 25m on theirs. Understood that length isn't the defining factor but curve of the blade. But a shorter length also allows for easier crossovers etc.
Yes, and 100 g weight difference per skate made a difference, too, when I got new skates. The NIS’s are quite light.

mca80

Post by mca80 » Mon Jan 08, 2024 3:11 pm

tkarhu wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:53 pm
mca80 wrote:
Skyllermarks say 25m on theirs. Understood that length isn't the defining factor but curve of the blade. But a shorter length also allows for easier crossovers etc.
Yes, and 100 g weight difference per skate made a difference, too, when I got new skates. The NIS’s are quite light.
The hollow center of the triangle can fill with snow and ice though.

ochotona_ak

Post by ochotona_ak » Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:05 pm

Here's a few different photos for you all - attempting to wing-skate using Ermine skates and an inflatible foil. It was a blast although I'd strongly recommend a full face helmet because when you do go down it happens fast :lol:
Wing_003.jpg
Wing_002.jpg

Nagano_Gold
Ski style: Nordic Ice skates, Pimarkan svarts
Favorite Skis: Viking Nagano gold 2005
Favorite boots: Viking Option

Post by Nagano_Gold » Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:38 am

mca80 wrote:
Skyllermarks say 25m on theirs. Understood that length isn't the defining factor but curve of the blade. But a shorter length also allows for easier crossovers etc. With the Ermine skates, they say their 40cm blade has a shortened nose and different angle, so that the contact area is still close to that of their 45cm blades. The shorter nose and quicker rise--I imagine that wouldn't be good for rough ice, but okay for smooth.
Yes it is indeed the curve of the blade that determines the agility, for short track speedskates the typical arc is 9m and for marathon skates this increases to 23. A flatter arc alows a more powerfull push at the cost of an increased effort to turn. Nordic skates in the past all had arcs of around 35 or even higher. These days most brands have reduced the arc on thier skates to around 25/27. The Duth Free skate brand now recommends an arc of 23 similar to the marathon speedskates. So a lower arc offers a more playfull ride vs a flatter arc allowing a more powerfull ride.

satanas

Post by satanas » Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:05 pm

ochotona_ak wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:05 pm
Here's a few different photos for you all - attempting to wing-skate using Ermine skates and an inflatible foil. It was a blast although I'd strongly recommend a full face helmet because when you do go down it happens fast :lol:
Wow!!! Have you thought about a trans-Antarctic trip? Maybe nobody has done that yet. :mrgreen:

Re skating generally: Other than a few small lakes that freeze in winter and are accessed by skiing, the only ice here is at rinks. I have skating boots and am wondering how the Nordic skates might do indoors, and what length might be appropriate. FWIW, I weigh ~65kg and have EU size 46 2/3 Salomon boots.