Rossignol is going XP

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
mrhppinhg

Re: Rossignol is going XP

Post by mrhppinhg » Tue Jan 09, 2024 5:22 am

havuja wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2024 7:14 pm
I do not get everyone here dissing XP 120 without skiing or seeing them, or even trying to collect data on them to understand what they might be about.

I generally agree that Rossi nordic bc -line is not on par with, say, Åsnes. At the moment I have a pair of Rossi BC65's, which I bought in an emergency to cover for a broken pair of e99's. They might not have the finesse of some other skis, but I've mostly liked them for what I use them for.
NONE OF THAT MATTERS because what we are talking now is XP 120, and it is a different ski. Like all of you commenting they are not worth shit, I have never skied or seen those skis. So, I might be wrong, but I think they just might actually be good skis, built unlike other Rossignol nordic bc skis. It looks they might be built more like Rossi alpine touring skis (Blackops, Seek7), which seem fairly highly regarded in their class. So a Blackops Alpineer with scales, for about the same price as Koms, half (or possibly only one fifth in EU) of Voile? What is not to like? There are not too many options in that class,
WHY NOT JUST give someone a chance to buy them and ski them and tell their opinion about them? I would switch my Koms to them, but as I can not do that without losing money I'll leave it for later.
ALSO their weight is stated differently in different shops(Rossignol does not give the weight), so they might be much lighter than 1600gm per ski. AND I remember BC 120 reviewed here, and for what I remember they were called fun and capable skis both bc and inbound. Silence followed. I think that this ski too is likely more from AT world than the nordic line, unlike their earlier wide scaled skis.
So WOULD YOU JUST GIVE A CHANCE for someone to try these skis for what they are? I am not a fan of Rossignol, but I am happy to see more skis in this class. They most likely will not outperform Voile skis for now, but I would not be surprised if they came close. Or beat the Koms. And Koms are never on big sale in EU, Rossi skis often -50%. l hope all of you experts would perhaps just listen to learn more about given skis if you know nothing about them. I do not want to see them end this line (BC 120, XP 120) without anyone really hearing about these skis, just because of you. I prefer more competition.
I think the best way to settle this debate is to have some actual reviews from people who have skied the XP 120 and can compare them with other skis in the same class.

tkarhu
Ski style: XCD | Nordic ice skating | XC | BC-XC
Favorite Skis: Gamme | Falketind Xplore | Atomic RC-10
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard | boots that fit

Post by tkarhu » Tue Jan 09, 2024 7:34 am

havuja wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 6:07 pm
It is hard to say from Rossignol marketing, it could be all off. From reading reviews, BC 120 sounds like a good ski. From all around internet I can find 10-15 reviews, of course usually short and incomplete. Nearly all of them suggest to me that the ski is/was way different from earlier BC 125. Sounds like BC 120 may have been more like Rossignol alpine touring skis, which would mean much more torsional rigidity than BC 125, perhaps more than Kom. Yes, some reviews suggested they are not at their best on ice or irregular hardpack, but which lightweight skis are? BC 120 was 1125g/ski in 176cm, if Rossi got that one right.
XP 120 MIGHT be the same ski with scales, although hopefully with better pattern than their narrower skis. Aventure Nordique lists them at 2474g / pair at 170, so not too bad the sweet spot perhaps? I think they are a try at Kom/Voile BC class, but why would we deem it a miss without anyone skiing them?

I do not know if they are good, but would like to know. How is the general quality of Rossignol AT skis? It sounds like many of them ski pretty well.
Talking about Rossignol nordic bc quality, I'll admit that my BC 65's have had their topsheets partly delaminated too fast, but they ski kind of nice in my trivial use case, and seem to have (fingers crossed, since they still are my current rock-slush-ice-midnightsunmadness-wilderness sled dog ski) stronger structure overall than the latest E99, not to get cut in half too easy if given a good beating.

Again, price is an important factor why I am interested in Rossignol skis in this class. Living in Europe, I would pay between 650(if extremely lucky to first find a pair in stock here and then also in discount, have seen that happen but not with the ski I wanted) to 1200euros(US price for Objective BC+ shipping + vat+ custom fees) for a pair of Voiles. Rossignol 150 - 500 euros. That is a very significant difference. Well, of course there is an abundance of AT skis from other brands to score on good discounts, just not any with scales.
Talking about skinny nordic bc skis, Rossignol might cost to me from 130 to 300€, as opposed to Åsnes 180 - 350 euros, which normally does not matter to me, Åsnes wins most of the time.
Surprisingly, in Finland Kärkkäinen sells Altai Kom”s for 400 € now. Or looks like currently price is 430 €. Not my favorite vendor, but a good deal.

Garretjv

Post by Garretjv » Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:51 am

I just got these skis after doing all the reading I could (which was very skim). I live in northern Michigan and wanted a Tele ski that didn't need skins for the mediocre ascents.

Snow is very wet in Marquette MI right now, so it's difficult to test the uphill. But took these to the lift and tested them out downhill. They really groove, catch edge nicely, and transition well. Excited to see what some fresh powder will feel like.

The skis feel super light and flexible (compared to a DH ski), but like I said hold an edge rather well.

Rossignol 120 XP 180cm.
Me: 6'3 188lbs.
PXL_20240206_205942572.jpg
PXL_20240206_210012999.jpg
-Crusty old geezer-

Garretjv

Post by Garretjv » Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:07 am

After further use I am quite enjoying the XP 120s. They ski well! Had 4-5 inches of powder in the UP of Michigan, cold but sticky stuff.

These skis had great bite on the uphill performance. I find them very light (compared to other BC skis I've used, but heavier for the XCD side I know) making movement seem much more effortless. It pairs well with my old broken in T2 boots giving me the flex and shin stability for deep knees.

Surprisingly for such a light and flexible ski there is no discernible chunder/chatter. The XP 120 comes with a generous camber, I'm mounted center. I find the camber on the downhill to be poppy in the transitions while extremely easy to let into and edge.

That's all for now, if anyone has questions let me know. I may throw a review on YouTube at some point since there is still so little about this ski in any reviews.
received_941409780709872_exported_7133.jpg
-Crusty old geezer-

mca80
Ski style: Over the river and through the woods
Favorite Skis: Nansen, Finnmark, Kongsvold, Combat NATO, Fischer Superlite, RCS
Favorite boots: Crispi Bre, Hook, Alpina 1600, Alico Ski March, Crispi Mountain

Post by mca80 » Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:43 pm

Photos from a week ago look terrible, just man-made stuff and thin? How are conditions now? Couple two tree hours west of you I either wouldn't ski with good skis or be very, very careful.